Saturday, January 12, 2013

Sick as a Dog.

Day 87 (January 10, 2013)
Huaraz, Peru
Day's Ride: 0 Miles

Turns out that I did get injured from that crash yesterday: I think that car gave me a stomach virus when it hit me. It was either that or the chicken curry I had last night. I woke up this morning and made a mad dash to the head, only to find that there was no TP. The Hostel staff was nowhere to be found, so I grabbed a handful of brochures from their office and made a b-line to the john.

So, that's what I've been doing all day. I planned on tightening up my chain and heading to Lima, but instead I spent most of the day laying in bed with some serious stomach cramps and making about six mad dashes for the bano.

This afternoon I felt a little bit better, so I got up and wrote yesterday's ride report. It started raining around that time, so doing bike maintenance was out of the question.

Eventually I decided it had been too long since I visited a latin american metal worker, so I went across the street to the local hardware shop, bought some metal tubing and asked were the nearest welder was.

Ever since I traded out my ammo cans for Pelican cases, I haven't had a center stand. Brown Falcon recommended that I have someone make me an enduro stand. After looking at some pictures, and stealing the one that bubbletron had for a pattern, I felt confident that I could make one with little trouble.




They pointed me up the street a few blocks, so I went for a walk and eventually found what I was looking for.

The welder was busy making someone a gate, but he told me that if I did all the prep work, cutting, drilling, etc, that he would weld it together when I was ready. Deal!

I fired up the drill press and started drilling holes through the two tubes that I had bought. I then took a piece of square tubing and bent it to make the top.



Then I cut some flat steel for the base....



Eventually the welder finished what he was doing and took over the drilling while I cleaned up the pieces on the bench grinder.



After all of the pieces were ready, the welder tacked it all together....



.....and then we were done! On the bottom is the original American made stand, and on the top is the Ulyses/Peruvian made stand, complete with homemade cotter pin. It works like a charm too! I'll have to get some pictures of it tomorrow when I'm adjusting my chain.



That's all for tonight. Tomorrow I ride for Lima!

No comments:

Post a Comment